Llantwit Fardre RFC | 1st Team 22 - 27 Barry RFC | 1st Team
Harry Morgan-grant
1 Conversion
1 Penalty
Daniel Nathan Ryan
1 Try
Bradley White
2 Try
Wayne Gareth Jones
1 Try
Einan Scott
1 Conversion

Match Report
04 September 2017 / Team News

Barry open with away victory

The first League game of the season saw Barry travel to Llantwit Fardre where after a hard fought 80 mins they came away worthy winners by 27 points to 22.

Barry got on the scoresheet in the early minutes when they were awarded a penalty, coolly converted by Scott.

Fardre playing the territorial game kept Barry pinned down and drew level as the visitors failed to control their own ball to concede a penalty.

From the restart Barry were penalised for a high tackle allowing Fardre to kick deep into the 22.The resulting lineout saw Farde use their heavy pack, drive to the Barry line to score a converted try and a seven point lead.

Despite being lighter up front Barry were holding their own at the set piece and were aggressive in defence forcing errors.This paid dividends as they turned the ball over and launched a counter attack which saw the ball spread wide to allow White to put Jones over for a well worked try which with the conversion being missed brought Barry to within 2 points.

However, Fardre were to extend their lead virtually straight away as loose tackling allowed them to attack and with the ball passed quickly through the hands the Barry defence was outstripped leaving an easy run in for a try which went unconverted.

As the half drew to a close the game became scrappy with both sides making unforced errors with neither side able to get on top.Barry were to get one last chance to get a score but the move broke down close to the line.

Barry started the second half brightly creating half chances but were unable to make the breakthrough except for one which was wasted as they opted to kick rather than keep the ball in hand.

Provis replaced the injured E.Scott.

With both sides committed to attack and defences on top most of the time chances were few, but out of the blue O'Sullivan broke out of defence creating space for the backs to attack and the chance was not wasted as White crossed for a try which Morgan - Grant converted to bring the scores level.

The score seemed to give Barry extra confidence as they maintained the pressure on a Fardre side that appeared to be tiring.

An long distance penalty chance was missed but Barry were not to be denied as they again used the space now available to open out giving White the chance to cross for his second try and with the conversion hitting the upright Barry put themselves into a 5 point lead.

A knock on at the restart saw Barry concede a penalty. From the scrum Fardre used their pack to set up a series of drives which finally led to them crossing for a converted try and put them back in the lead by 2 points

.This setback did not deter Barry as they maintained the pressure and with a little luck could have scored.They finally got the breakthrough they deserved when from a scrum on the Fardre 22  the ball was quickly spread across the backs giving Ryan the run in for the try, converted by Morgan -Grant and Barry again had the lead by 5 points.

The minutes were ticking away with the game finely balanced , but Barry playing sensible rugby continued to frustrate Fardre in attack

and remained on the attack as the final whistle sounded to end an entertaining game.

A good way to open the season and an encouraging performance which bodes well for the rest of the year.

This weekend Barry entertain local rivals Penarth with a 2.30pm kick off.

Prior to the game Barry u7's will play Penarth u7's in a tag match with the kick off at 1.00pm

Last weeks Lottery numbers were 03 - 10 - 16 and 22 and again were not matched. This weeks prize increases to £6180


There doesn't appear to be any tagged photos.

Upload and Tag Photos