Aberdare RFC | 1st Team 34 - 6 Barry RFC | 1st Team
Kyle Barros
2 Penalty

Match Report
24 September 2017 / Team News

Barry stunned by 2nd Half Blitz

Going to Aberdare to face the League leaders was never going to be an easy task, and so it proved to be as they went down by 32 - 6 after the home team registered 24 unanswered points in the second half , running in four tries.

It really was a game of two halves as Barry matched their opponents in both attack and defence in the first 40 minutes and until the last minute of the first period were leading 6 - 3

Both sides started brightly with open rugby the order of the day and it was the home side who had the first chance to score from a penalty which was missed.

Seconds later Barry were to take the lead with a 40m penalty from Barross and they maintained the pressure with a series of attacks which took play close to the home line where O'Sullivan was stopped just short.The resulting scrum saw Barry penalised and allowed Aberdare to clear their lines.

It was the home sides turn to attack but Barry's defence was solid and turned the ball over, earning themselves a penalty allowing Barross to increase the lead with a fine kick, a lead that they merited after 20 mins. of action

Not reclaiming the restart let Aberdare  create an overlap out wide, but the chance was wasted with the line open. Barry had infringed however giving them an easy penalty from in front to reduce the scoreline.

Barry were still having the best of the exchanges, but ball control and loose passing were not helping their cause.Again they were halted short of the line.Weathering the storm, Aberdare slowly worked their way into Barry territory and could have taken the lead firstly from a penalty chance and secondly from a fine break only halted by a last ditch tackle by Jones.

The last minutes of the half saw Aberdare finally cross the Barry line only to be recalled for a forward pass with good scrum ball and penalty the danger was cleared. Attacking fro the lineout a promising move brokedown with loose passing and Barry were sent back 50m into their 22

.Sadly Barry lost their own lineout ball giving Aberdare the time and space to breach the line to give them the lead with a converted try.This was unfortunate as Barry didn't deserve to be behind at half time, but proved that controlling your possession is vital.

Worse was to follow as an Aberdare knock on from the restart was not spotted by the referee allowing them to clear the ball deep in Barry territory.The lineout was lost again and they paid the ultimate penalty as the ball was spread at pace across the backs to concede a try,although the ball did not seem to grounded, which with the conversion left the score at 17 - 6 to the home side.

Buoyed by their success Aberdare began to tighten their grip on the game, leaving Barry with little or no worthwhile possession and that they did have was being wasted for a variety of reasons.

Under the cosh Barry strived to match the pace of the home side but something had to give. The pressure finally told as they ran out of defenders and Aberdare crossed for another unconverted try for a 22 - 6 lead.

Barry now had no answer to the 15 man game Aberdare were playing and minutes later they crossed again this time the try was converted.

Barry still kept positive although the attacks had little bite to them and proved easy for Aberdare to defend against, and before long the home side were back on attack. A loose chip through could not be gathered by the Barry defence letting them cross for their fourth try of the half.

Barry were probably grateful to hear the final whistle follow the conversion attempt ending what had , for the first half appear to be heading for a typical tight top of the table clash, but ended with the side being outplayed for the second 40 mins.

The boys are obviously smarting from that defeat and will need to put it at the back of their minds when they travel to Abercynon this Saturday,a team beaten by a similar scoreline by Aberdare earlier in the season

A coach will leave the Club for players and supporters at 12.30pm.

Again the Lottery rolls over this week as last weeks numbers of 04 - 13 - 15 and 22 were not matched. This weeks jackpot will be £6400.

Members including players are advised that membership is now due and can be paid any evening at the Club to Carol or see Andy Jamieson.All memberships must be paid no later than 30th September.


There doesn't appear to be any tagged photos.

Upload and Tag Photos