Barry RFC | 1st Team 18 - 32 Gilfach Goch RFC | 1st Team

Match Report
02 April 2018 / Team News

Barry fall to promotion rivals

Barry entertained fellow promotion contenders Gilfach Goch at the Reservoir Field last Saturday and came off second best as the visitors secured the win by 32 points to 18.

Having to make further changes again this week due to injuries, Barry were going to need to be at their best to get something from the game which was played on a heavy pitch.

The opening minutes saw Barry kicking for territory whilst their opponents opted to run the ball and attack from deep.

The latter tactic proved to be more successful and after only six minutes of the game earned them the first score of the game from a quick tap penalty which took Barry by surprise saw them cross under the posts and with the easy kick a 7 point lead.

That early success encouraged the visitors and they kept Barry on the back foot whilst denying them hardly any possession.

Two successive lineout losses followed by being driven back at the scrum gave Gilfach their second try as the ball was spread wide where the speedy backs linked to cross wide out for the try which was unconverted but gave them a 12 point lead after only 14 minutes.

It was time  for Barry to rethink their game plan otherwise it seemed like it was going to be a long afternoon.

They did just that and rather than kicking their limited possession away they began to the take Gilfach eight on up front, keeping the ball in hand.Within minutes it proved to be the right decision as the visitors conceded a penalty which Kyle Barross duly converted and Barry had their first points on the board.

As the half moved on Barry kept up the pressure on and with Gilfach now having to win possession rather than being gifted it became a different game.

Gilfach still looked dangerous with the ball but Barry were defending well and forcing errors.From one such error Barry were to score an unlikely try from deep.A loose ball was dribbled by Tom Perry some 50m upfield and when he finally regained the ball, wing Wayne Jones was in support to carry the move on. Meeting the last line of defence he cleverly chipped ahead where Luke O'Sullivan gathered the ball to cross for the try with the bonus being   the fine conversion from the touchline By Kyle Barross to put Barry to within 2 points which had not seemed possible 15 minutes earlier.

This turnaround clearly unsettled Gilfach and Barry were to take the lead as an intentional knock on gave Kyle Barross the kick at goal which put them ahead for the first time.

The whole game changed again between first half injury time and the opening minute of the second half during which Gilfach scored two tries.

Firstly the restart from the penalty was not controlled by Barry and the forced hasty clearance gave Gilfach the space they wanted as three quick passes saw the defence split to score what was an excellent try and the lead as the half time whistle went.

The second try came direct from the second half kick off as Barry were penalised and another quickly taken penalty saw them cross for the try.Neither of these tries went converted but Gilfach now held the lead at 22 points to 13.

Fighting to get back in the game Barry enthusiasm was not being matched by their game management or ball control and Gilfach took full advantage when the opportunity arose.

This was soon the case as Barry lost the ball in attack leaving the defence wide open for a converted try and now a 16 point lead.

The spirit of Barry has to be admired as once again they attacked the Gilfach defence and using their forwards drove to the line where Alyn Evans touched down for the try and with no conversion the score now was 29 -18 to Gilfach.

Barry now launched a series of attacks on the visitors line and were unlucky not to cross for a further try, but solid defence held them at bay.

With Barry not prepared to give up without a fight and throwing caution to the wind it was obvious that errors would creep in and so it was.A lost lineout saw Gilfach counter and take play close to the Barry line where they forced a penalty. Realising the game was not yet won they took the option to kick at goal and added three points to their lead at 32 - 18.

With now only minutes remaining the game was all Barry's and try as they may they couldn't find their way over the line.

The game finished with that scoreline and perhaps the better side on the day deserved their victory and certainly to beat the top sides in the League Barry will have learnt that your game management must be perfect something that was lacking in this game.

Next week Barry are away at Llanishen with a 2.30pm kick off.

The Lottery rolls over to £1300 this week after last week's numbers of 03 - 13 - 14 and 20 failed to produce a winner.No tickets matched 3 numbers either.

Players Fixture player info not published.

There doesn't appear to be any tagged photos.

Upload and Tag Photos