Cardiff Quins RFC | 1st Team 23 - 27 Barry RFC | 1st Team
Kyle Barros
1 Try
3 Conversion
2 Penalty
Daniel Nathan Ryan
1 Try

Match Report
16 October 2017 / Team News

Second half blitz earns Barry victory

Lying above Barry in the table Cardiff Quins were the opposition last Saturday and in a tense game, which was only decided by the last move of the match, earned Barry a well deserved victory by 27 points to 23.

The win was all the more satisfying as they scored 21 points in a second half performance which showed the skill and talent the squad possesses and character in abundance, all this despite being on the wrong side of the referee for those 50 -50 decisions which clearly affected the momentum to their play.

The Quins  known for their preference for open rugby began in just that vein and the early minutes saw them probing the Barry defence without really worrying it.Their only reward coming from a penalty as Barry were caught offside.

Weathering that early storm Barry set about setting up their own attacks, but after creating an opening wasted the chance with a poor final pass.It did however work in their favour as the Quins scrum was driven back  forcing them to concede a penalty allowing Barross to bring the scores level at 3 - 3.

Barry didn't clear the restart which let Quins attack ending with a penalty which put them back in front.Minutes later,the same thing happened at the other end this time in Barry;s favour and again Barross did the necessary to equalise the score.

As the half wore on, attacking threats were being met by solid defending and the game moved end to end with no breakthrough.

This changed dramatically as half time moved closer.Quins set up an attack which the Barry defence seemed to have covered and as the ruck formed and the Barry defence disorganised the ball found the winger who raced in from 30m to cross for a converted try.

Virtually straight from the restart Barry were penalised again and with the kick successful Barry had conceded 10 points and were now behind 16 -6

.Each side had one further penalty chance before half time, but with both missed the score remained 16 -6 as the whistle went.

Certainly Barry's first half performance didn't justify them being behind but with Quins always looking a threat a difficult second half lay ahead .

Barry got off to the best possible start after an early penalty took them into Quins territory.The pressure was maintained as the forwards gained control at the scrum giving the backs the chance to show their talent.This they did as the recycled ball was moved probing the defence where well timed final pass saw Provis cross out wide for a team try which Barross added to with a fine conversion.

Straight back on the attack from the restart Barry took a penalty to touch to camp close to the Quins line.

They seemed to have lost the chance as they failed to win two lineouts but the hard working forwards regained the ball somehow and set up the backs to open up the Quins defence with Barross getting the touchdown and kicking the conversion and suddenly in the space of a few minutes went into a 20 - 16 lead.

Barry continued to attack when possible but were also playing sensible rugby limiting time and space for Quins to use the pace of their threequarters .

The now totally dominant Barry scrum was inexplicably penalised giving Quins the territory they had struggled to get so far in the half.

They didn't waste it either as after it appeared that Barry had cleared the threat they regained the ball to break through the defence to cross for a converted try taking them back in front by 23 - 20

.In no mood to give up everything they had worked hard for set Barry on the attack again as they reached the Quins 22.The line out was cleared but only found Perry who crashed through the covering defence and with White on his shoulder a try looked certain.Again the referee saw an infringement and penalised Barry for crossing.

A spate of penalties followed breaking up Barry's rhythm and forcing them on the defence, playing their rugby at the wrong end of the field with only minutes left.

Finally managing to clear their lines Barry set off on one last chance to save the game.

Getting close to the line Barry made several forays but were foiled by a mixture rugged defence and infringements. It seemed that they were not going to get the try they deserved as the game was well into injury time.

One last drive tied in the Quins defence and Barry quickly spread the ball wide allowing Ryan a free run in for a superb try which Barross converted and the final whistle went for the end of the game with overall Barry worthy winners.

This result shows what this squad is capable of if they can produce this sort of performance on a regular basis

Next week Barry entertain Clwb Rygbi Caerdydd in a League fixture kick off 2.30pm while the 2nd XV travel to play Llanishen

The Lottery again rolls over this week to £6850 as last weeks numbers of 01 - 05 - 09 and 17 were not matched.


There doesn't appear to be any tagged photos.

Upload and Tag Photos