St Peters RFC | 1st Team 12 - 11 Barry RFC | 1st Team
Kyle Barros
2 Penalty

Match Report
21 November 2017 / Team News

Lacklusture Barry hit the Rocks

Barry travelled to Cardiff for a noon kick off against St Peters last Saturday and produced a performance which left the small band of visiting supporters frustrated and disappointed to say the least.

With ex- international centre Mark Ring as coach it is a given that the Rocks would be keen to move the ball around and the early minutes confirmed this as they put the Barry defence to the test with their pace and the advantage of the wind assisting their kicking.

It was not long before they reached the Barry 22 where they got e penalty to take the lead.

The Barry scrum was blowing hot and cold and under pressure conceded another penalty via the upright for a 6 - 0 lead.Finally it looked as though were waking up as they attacked from the restart and following a good move upfield forced the Rocks to concede a penalty which Barross slotted over to reduce the arrears.

From the restart Hadfield made a superb break to take Barry into Rocks territory and again forced a penalty which this time Barross missed against the gusting wind.Further pressure came to nothing as another penalty was conceded allowing the Rocks to counter attack and although Barry defended this, yet again the referee penalised them with the kick giving the Rocks a six  point lead again.

Once again Barry attacked from the restart and got close to the line where the move was halted illegally.Taking the option to touch Barry then lost the lineout.This proved costly as the Rocks swiftly moved the ball wide and whilst Barry's scrambling defence stopped the move, yet again the referee saw an infringement giving the Rocks an easy penalty for 12 -3 lead as the half time whistle went.

Having soaked up most of the pressure and against the wind Barry would have been quite content with the scoreline and with the second half to come with the wind and numerical advantage it was felt that should they obtain enough possession they were capable turning the lead over.

Unfortunately this was not to be the case in the early minutes as basic errors crept into their game from being turned over or losing attacking lineouts and chances were missed.

It took a piece of individual brilliance from Barross to stop the rot when collecting the ball in his own 22 he set off on a dazzling run which took him into the home 22.When halted, he found White in support who released Provis to cross for a superb try wide out.Although the conversion failed Barry had got themselves back to within 3 points of the Rocks.

Regretfully Barry went back to their old ways and were wasting potential opportunities to score. Things were not being helped as the game became littered with penalties to both sides giving the game a stop start feel and killing any momentum either side achieved.

Luckily the penalties which Barry conceded were in the home 22 and with the strong wind clearing their lines was proving difficult for the Rocks.

Barry were camped in the home 22 but were finding the Rocks defence difficult to break down.The pressure was finally rewarded as they were awarded a penalty which Barross fired over and now the score was 12 - 11 with still some time to go.

Again Barross sent the restart 60m back to within 5m of the Rocks line to maintain the pressure but all to no avail as they cleared their lines and received the benefit of Barry kicking the ball dead to lose valuable territory.

Barry were showing their frustration in their inability to breach the defence which only led to more errors being made and played right into the hands of the Rocks.

With a mixture of these errors and continuing penalty awards the game was drifting away from Barry who seemed devoid of ideas, lacking any control or tactical awareness.

The final whistle went and Barry will know this was a game they certainly should have won.Despite this being only their third loss this season, I'm sure the players realise what's needed and must  be more consistent week in week out.

With the Autumn Internationals in full swing the next game is on 9th December when they entertain Llanishen in a League fixture.

This date coincides with the Club's Annual Xmas Draw.The recent lack of rugby at the Club has meant it has been difficult to distribute tickets for sale.If you are able to sell or want some for yourself, tickets are available at the Bar on any evening or even better come to the Club this Saturday when both the Scotland and Wales games will be live on the big screen from 1.30pm.

While your there take the opportunity to enter the Club Lottery which this week stands at £7400 as lasts weeks numbers of 06 - 10 - 18 and20 were not matched



There doesn't appear to be any tagged photos.

Upload and Tag Photos