Barry RFC | 1st Team 49 - 22 Abercynon RFC | 1st Team
Luke O'sullivan
Try 2
Tiernan Scott
Try 2
Wayne Gareth Jones
Try 1
Kyle Barros
Conversion 7
Tomos Perry
Try 1
Curtis Miller
Try 1

Match Report
19 January 2018 / Team News

Magnificent Barry hit Seven

They always say you have to hit the ground running to achieve something, and Barry certainly did that last Saturday in the League fixture against Abercynon.

Within the first twenty minutes Barry scored four converted tries to lead 28 - 0.

Barry were first to gain advantage from the kick off as they pressured the Abercynon eight into conceding a penalty from a scrum. The resulting lineout was driven toward the line before recycling saw Curtis Millar crash over for the try which was converted by Kyle Barross.

A second try followed almost immediately as Abercynon infringed at the restart allowing Barry to attack through a driving lineout and when the move broke down Dave Provis found a gap in the defence to break clear before handing on to Tom Perry to cross near the posts, giving Kyle Barross a simple conversion.

At this stage Abercynon had hardly touched the ball and again an infringement at the restart cost them dearly as the penalty took Barry back on the attack.

Again after initially driving the lineout Barry spread the ball and the defence was caught wrongfooted as a clever Tom Perry chip to the corner gave Tiernan Scott the touchdown, with Kyle Barross again adding the extras for a 21 point lead.

Things got worse for the visitors as Barry opened up play from the restart which saw the ball moved quickly and accurately amongst the threequarters finally finding Tiernan Scott to score his second try and with another Kyle Barross conversion Barry had raced into a 28 point lead.

Most sides would by now have had enough but to their credit Abercynon began to get some possession and with ball in hand showed they had some pace and talent in their backline.

Their reward came following a speculative kick which the Barry defence failed to gather allowing the kicker to regather and cross for the try which was converted and Abercynon were on the scoreboard.

Buoyed by their success they were now playing with a spring in their step and with the added benefit of some meaningful possession began to attack the Barry defence.A swift move from a now more solid scrum saw the ball move at a pace too quick for the Barry defence who were left floundering as Abercynon crossed for their second try and conversion which saw the deficit halved in a matter of minutes.

The scores were indications of the threat Abercynon posed and not of a side switching off after enjoying a substantial lead and the warning bells had sounded.

Barry took the threat on board immediately as they regained the ball at the restart and moved into the 22 where they opted to take a scrum from a penalty award.Using their scrum advantage they drove the visitors toward their line and following a further penalty drove again to give Luke O'Sullivan the easiest of touchdowns at the back of the scrum and Kyle Barross another conversion.

Abercynon again got themselves back upfield and into Barry territory forcing them to concede penalties and were rewarded with a penalty goal to make the half time score 35 - 17.

Barry were aware the game was not over and began the second period as they had the first launching a series of forays into the Abercynon defence, this time forcing the visitors to transgress close to  their line.The lineout following the penalty saw Barry drive for the line with the ball finding Luke O'Sullivan to cross for his second try and with Kyle Barross adding the extra points Barry stretched further ahead.

Barry kept the momentum going taking every opportunity to attack, but despite the deficit they faced Abercynon were playing with a huge amount of pride and commitment which stifled most of Barry's attempts.

However they were finally undone as a clever blindside move created space for Wayne Jones to cross for a try added to by an immaculate conversion by Kyle Barross and a lead by 49 - 17.

This scoreline gave Barry the chance to use their substitutes and they needed to get quickly up to speed as Abercynon still  fighting hard enjoyed their best period of the game in terms of possession but were met with a solid home defence not prepared to give anything away which led to some entertaining rugby from both sides.

As the minutes ticked away Abercynon still battled on and were rewarded with an unconverted try as they dissected the Barry defence from a drive,a just reward for their efforts.This was to be the last move of the match as the final whistle went with Barry winners by 49 - 22.

You can't complain about seven tries,a 100% kicking record from Kyle Barross and a victory which consolidates Barry's third position in the table.,but as good as the performance was you have to give credit to a young Abercynon side who played with heart to the end, and take out the opening sixteen minutes where Barry scored 28 points, ironically outscored Barry by 22 points to 21.There is a moral there somewhere.

Next Saturday sees the pressure cranked up as Barry travel to meet Gilfach Goch who have suffered only one defeat this season and sit below Barry in the table with games in hand.

A coach will leave the Club at 12.30pm for Players and Supporters.

This weeks Lottery Numbers of 06 - 14 - 17 and 18 were not matched, so this weeks jackpot increases to £8300.

Last weeks draw also saw the introduction of a £10 prize for those who match three numbers.The new prize was won by two ticketholders last week.



There doesn't appear to be any tagged photos.

Upload and Tag Photos