Barry RFC | 1st Team 12 - 14 St Peters RFC | 1st Team

Match Report
27 March 2018 / Team News

Barry's promotion hopes dented

Barry's hopes of  maintaining pressure of the teams above them in the League were put on hold after they suffered a surprise defeat at the hands of St Peters at the Reservoir Field last Saturday.
Having to make major changes for a variety of reasons Barry never seemed able to get a stranglehold on the game and lacked consistency,this is not to detract from the efforts of the replacement players all of who tried their hearts out.It was just a lacklustre performance but also a game where they had chances to win.
Being a the top end of the table always makes you a target, and the Rocks opened the game in lively fashion looking determined to spoil the party.
Their early efforts were rewarded as they attacked from a long Barry clearance to move the ball wide where the wing chipped ahead to regain the ball for a try which went unconverted, but a 5  point lead.
Barry were struggling to get any meaningful ball as the Rocks enjoyed virtually unlimited possession from set piece and some wayward Barry kicking.
It cannot be denied that the Rocks spent the game living very close to the edge, a tactic which when not always seen by the referee was obviously unsettling Barry.
However their indiscretion paved the way for Barry to get into the game when Kyle Barross slotted over a fine 50m penalty to reduce the deficit.
A further penalty at the restart saw Barry into the Rocks half from where they set the backs free, ending with Dave Provis being halted just short of the line.
Barry became more aggressive as the half wore on and it was the Rocks turn to look unsettled, but Barry failed to turn pressure into points despite Harry Moyle nearly getting over the line and Kyle Barross being just wide with a penalty.They finally took the lead through another penalty from Kyle Barross.
Unfortunately this lead was shortlived as they failed to gather the restart to concede a penalty which  again put The Rocks into the lead as half time approached.
Barry had by now lost James Hadfield to injury to not help matters but managed to see the half through leaving the score at 6 points to 8 in the Rocks favour.
The second half opened with Barry being awarded a kickable penalty which they were unable to convert, but kept up the pressure without really creating any worthwhile chances although they had gained an advantage at the scrum.
This advantage saw the Rocks concede a penalty which this time Kyle Barross put over and Barry took the lead 9 points to 8.
The sides matched eachother as time went on although Barry were forced to defend as the Rocks attacked the  line
with a concerted forward effort which they did well stem but in doing so conceded a penalty and this see-saw game went back in favour of the Rocks.
Some poor kicking allowed the Rocks back into the Barry half where an isolated player was penalised which saw The Rocks go further ahead with another penalty to leave the score at 9 - 14 with still time for Barry to comeback.
This looked hopeful as they got themselves into a good position and threatened as the Rocks defended stubbornly,their only reward being a further penalty from Kyle Barross to leave only 3 points in it.
However they were unable to get the score to win the game to leave both players and spectators frustrated for the second game running as both have been lost by a single score.
Next Saturday Barry face promotion chasing Gilfach Goch at home, kick off 2.30pm.
In addition to this game the Club are also hosting a2nd XV Tournament, hopefully including ten sides which is planned to begin at 1.00pm
Last weeks Lottery numbers failed to find a winner, while one ticket matched 3 numbers to win £10. The numbers were 05 - 08 - 12 and 22.This weeks jackpot will be £1250
Players Fixture player info not published.

There doesn't appear to be any tagged photos.

Upload and Tag Photos