Barry RFC | 1st Team 15 - 5 Treharris RFC | 1st Team
Kyle Barros
Conversion 1
Penalty 1
Rhys John O''sullivan
Try 1
Tomos Perry
Try 1

Match Report
07 August 2017 / Team News

Injury mars warm up friendly

As part of a three match build up for the new season Barry entertained Treharris from Division 3 in a friendly at the Reservoir Field last saturday

With the game split into twenty minutes  periods and rolling substitutes allowed,the game obviously lacked continuity but nevertheless provided a highly entertaining afternoon of rugby.

The skill level of both sides was to be admired and whilst the final score of 15 - 5 to Barry was not a try feast this was an indication of the defensive strength on show.

Unfortunately the match was brought to an early end following a serious injury to a Treharris player.The Club wish him a speedy recovery and a quick return to action.

It was the visitors who scored first when quick recycling from an early penalty caught the Barry defence out of position and saw them cross wide out for an unconverted try.

Playing into a strong breeze Barry were struggling to make their possession count and despite some promising attacking moves with ball in hand lack of game time led to inevitable breakdowns.

 They finally got on the scoresheet with a monstrous penalty from over 50m into a stiff breeze from Barross

With both sides intent on attack the game was fast and open and on more than one occasion the visitors got close to the Barry tryline but couldn't cross.

During the next periods with changes being made Barry began to continue to exert pressure but couldn't find a way through a solid defence.and it finally took a show of forward power to create the space for Rhys O'Sullivan to drive over to give Barry the lead with Barros adding the conversion.

Both sides continued to attack at  every opportunity but with defences on top, the scoreline remained unaltered.

The Barry eight had gained some superiority up front providing good ball for the backs to attack and a series of drives saw them into the visitors 22.

A quick penalty saw fast hands create space for Perry to cross for a well worked try and with no conversion the game was 15 - 5 to Barry.

Minutes later the unfortunate injury led to the referee calling the game off.

For the first runout of the season I'm sure the coaching staff will be pleased in what they saw, and also the new faces to the Club who appeared to settle in well.

Pre Season continues next Saturday when Barry entertain Lydney, Glos a side that have hosted them for the past two years in what will be another tough encounter.

A Lottery winner still proves impossible to find as last weeks numbers 03 - 16 - 17 and 18 were not matched, the jackpot this week will be £5750.


There doesn't appear to be any tagged photos.

Upload and Tag Photos