Dinas Powys RFC | 2nd Team 40 - 31 Barry RFC | 2nd Team
Ashley Adams
1 Try
Robert Boyt
1 Try
Dylan Robertson
4 Conversion
1 Penalty
Christopher Mitchell
1 Try
Dominic Busutil
1 Try

Match Report
25 September 2017 / Team News

Late comeback by Barry in vain

Barry 2nd XV travelled to Dinas Powis more in hope than expectation with a depleted squad in a fine Saturday afternoon.

Coaches Rhidian Scott and Glyn Pirso were forced to name a much changed side again for this local derby, with no less than six players making their first appearance in the match day squad.  Late withdrawals meant that there was even a place on the bench for former manager Ken Chow.

Despite the disruptions, Barry started well and showed intent with ball in hand, utilising the physicality of Ethan Dicks and Wayne Jones to good effect.

Unfortunately it was the home side which showed more know-how in the ruck area, and in turn generated quicker ball for their backs to work with. 

After prolonged pressure near the Barry line, something had to give and the home side took the lead with a deserved converted try.

Stung, Barry hit back with some clever play between new-formed half-backs Dominic Busuttil and Ashley Adams, and precise kicking from Dylan Robertson.  With the visitors camped deep in Dinas’ 22, the hosts eventually ran out of numbers as Busuttil crashed over under the posts.  Robertson added the extras to level the match.

Barry were battling hard and were looking forward to go into the interval level, but two lapses in concentration proved costly.

First, the visitors’ defence failed to spot an overlap and allowed Dinas to outnumber them out wide; then a lack of communication saw a gap open in the Barry line. 

Worse was to follow after half-time as two quick-fire tries from the hosts, taking advantage of some poor tackling out wide, saw Dinas open up a 33-7 lead with still half an hour to go.

Staring at a heavy defeat, Barry finally got back to work, pressurising the home side into making mistakes.  From a penalty opportunity Robertson reduced the deficit by three.

It was now Barry who had more momentum and breaks from Adams, Dicks and Rob Boyt created the chance for Chris Mitchell to crash through the last defender for his second try of the season.  Robertson added the extras.

Sensing an unlikely comeback, Dinas upped the ante and opened the gap back up with a close-range converted try of their own.

However, Barry did not give up and would have the better of the last ten minutes. 

With play being broken up, Boyt took full advantage against a disorganised defence, racing through to score underneath the posts; Robertson with the conversion.

The idea of a heavy defeat was now behind the visitors, and indeed it was the green-and-whites who had the last say on the scoreboard, as fly-half Adams was rewarded by a try after a dogged performance.  Robertson’s kick meant that the final score was 40-31 to the hosts but Barry had gained a try-bonus point.

Barry 2nd XV will return home to host Rumney next Saturday, kick off 2.30pm.


Team:  Robertson; Yates, Dicks, W Jones, Gill; Adams, Busuttil (c); Hall, Davies, Fortt; M Jones, Mitchell; Williams, L Jones, Boyt

Replacements:  Morris, Bailey, Lee

Sub not used:  Chow


There doesn't appear to be any tagged photos.

Upload and Tag Photos