Barry RFC | 1st Team 23 - 13 Abercynon RFC | 1st Team

Match Report
02 December 2018 / Team News

First half blitz sees Barry home

Barry  23-13  Abercynon

Tries:         Barros, Scott, Evans

Cons:        Barros (1/3)

Pens:         Barros (2/3)


Barry returned to action after the autumn internationals with Abercynon their visitors.

With James Hadfield restored as captain following a lengthy spell sidelined by injury, the home side dominated early proceedings in terms of both possession and territory. 

Orchestrated by the half-back partnership of Tomos Lee and Einan Scott, a prolonged period of Barry possession saw Abercynon concede a penalty from range, but Kyle Barros was unable to prosper against a stiff breeze.

The visiting side showed their own power game by dominating the scrum, but without any cohesion in their back division, found it difficult to breach the Barry line early on.

Instead it was Barry who deservedly opened the scoring, when another Abercynon transgression gave Barros the opportunity to land a long range penalty.

Buoyed by that success, the green and whites continued to utilise the platform set up by their forwards to press for the next score.

Despite being against the slope and wind Barry were winning the tactical kicking game, and from one such chance, pressure applied by Dylan Robertson forced the visitors to spill the ball, and Barros was on hand to collect and race under the posts the score.  The conversion was a formality and the hosts were now ten points to the good.

Abercynon tried to turn to the screw in the scrum and forced Barry deep into their own twenty-two, but some heroic defending saw the visitors come away with no points.

Instead it was another clever kick from Scott which saw him outfox the visiting defence, collecting his own kick after it was held up in the wind, before diving over in the corner for Barry’s second try.  Barros failed with the extras under difficult conditions.

After ‘Cynon has reduced the deficit with a successful penalty, the hosts had the chance to respond with a kick of their own, but instead opted for the corner.  It was a decision vindicated by a powerful maul resulting in Alyn Evans crashing over for his team’s third try.  The conversion from out wide was unsuccessful.

At the interval it was almost a matter of when and not if Barry collect their bonus point but the visitors had other ideas.

Revitalised from the break and helped by a Barry sin-bin, Abercynon put the home side under tremendous pressure, and eventually the hosts ran out of defenders with the visitors scoring an unconverted try.

Barry were failing to utilise the slope and wind advantage and instead spent large amounts of time defending in their own half, with the collective team effort keeping the home line from being breached.

Frustrated by their inability to make that decisive score to bring themselves back into the game, the visiting team conceded a penalty which Barros was grateful to accept, stroking over another penalty from range to extend Barry’s lead.

Abercynon continued to press for the rest of the half but found things tougher when their prop went off injured, and with the resultant uncontested scrummaging lost their major advantage.

Their persistence was rewarded by the final play of the game when they crossed out wide, but the score proved academic as Barry ran out 23-13 winners.

Barry travel next week to Llanharan. 

Lottery numbers are 7, 8, 22 and 24. No overall winner this week and prize increases to £3,150.


Team:  Barros; Ryan, Perry, White, Robertson; Scott, Lee; Davies, Evans, Bowditch; G Jones, Miles; Moyle, Hadfield ©, H Jones

Replacements:  Vidal

Subs not used:  Hall, Corson, Jones


There doesn't appear to be any tagged photos.

Upload and Tag Photos