Barry RFC | 2nd Team 12 - 13 St Josephs RFC | 2nd Team
Joel Williams
Conversion 1
Try 1
John Miles
Try 1

Match Report
07 March 2016 / Team News

Barry fall to last minute kick

Tries:         Miles, Williams

Cons:        Williams


On the same day when the 1st XV tackled the league leaders, Barry 2nd XV entertained their own division’s leaders St Josephs.

The omens were not good, as this was a slick side which have dealt the hosts some heavy defeats in the past.  Coach Rhidian Scott and manager Ken Chow were further hampered by numerous players unavailable for selection, although they were grateful for the return of Chris Chucas at full back and Curtis Miller appearing on the bench.

Playing up against the slope and the elements, Barry started ferociously, hoping to catch the team from the capital off guard.  After being successful from an early catch-and-drive from a line-out, Barry were awarded a penalty within kicking range, but Ashley Adams was unable to deliver the three points.

Undeterred, the hosts probed for another opening and following numerous St Josephs infringements, the home side found themselves camped on the five-metre line.

With the line-out expertly executed, an unstoppable rolling maul was formed and John Miles was on hand to crash over for the opening try.  Joel Williams added the extras.

Barry should have kicked on and put their opponents to the sword, but instead fell foul of the referee’s whistle with a spate of penalties, allowing the visitors territory and possession that they did not waste.  Within the space of five minutes, the score was 10-7 to the visitors following two quick unconverted tries.

With captain Williams and Rhys O’Sullivan particularly vocal about their side’s indiscipline, Barry improved especially after the introduction of Miller.  Focusing their energy on breaking down a stubborn St Josephs defence instead of attracting the attention of the referee’s whistle, Barry reversed the momentum and was duly rewarded just before the break.  O’Sullivan did the hard work by sending numerous defenders tumbling, before Joel Williams capitalised by sauntering through to score in the corner.  He was unable to add the extras.

The second half was a cagey affair as the game was broken up further by the of penalty count.  Barry should have increased their lead when the visitors were down to thirteen men, but a disallowed try from Adams was as close as they got.

When Barry themselves were down to fourteen men in the last quarter, St Josephs laid siege to the home line in search for the winner.  Heroic defending, with some bone-crunching tackles from Remy Frenay, Rob Williams, Owain Poole and most memorably Chucas kept the visitors abay, and it seemed that Barry had weathered the storm as Adams returned to the fray.

Unfortunately this was not the case as Barry lost possession to give the away side one last attack, and home indiscipline meant the concession of a penalty within kicking distance.  This time the league leaders made no mistake and with the final kick of the game wrestled the lead decisively away to win the game 13-12.

Barry 2nd XV return to action after the Six Nations with an away trip to Llanishen on 26th March. 


Team:  Chucas; Russell, Peake, Adams, Bounds; J Williams ©, Mepham; Hall, O’Sullivan, Ring; R Williams, Case; Frenay, Poole, Miles

Replacements:  Turnbull, Miller, Evans

Sub not used:  Forrester

Man-of-the-match:  O’Sullivan


There doesn't appear to be any tagged photos.

Upload and Tag Photos