Barry RFC | 2nd Team 22 - 20 Cardiff Quins RFC | 2nd Team
Robert Williams
Try 1
Ashley Adams
Conversion 2
Penalty 1
Try 1
Owain Poole
Try 1
Luke Alexander Bounds
Try 1

Match Report
05 November 2017 / Team News

Barry return to winning ways

Barry 2nd XV returned to action hoping to revive their league fortunes after a series of difficult fixtures.

They welcomed a Cardiff Quins side who have also suffered from a difficult start to their season on a brisk and windy Saturday afternoon at Reservoir Field.

Coach Rhidian Scott was able to recall Luke Bounds, Harry Moyle, Rob Williams and Owain Poole for their first starts of the campaign, and expectations were high from a sizeable crowd.

However, things did not go the hosts’ way in the opening quarter as Barry struggled to maintain possession.  Indeed, it was the Quins’ who deservedly opened the scoring following a set move from behind the scrum. 

The conversion was missed but minutes later they increased their lead when their kicker landed a successful penalty.

At 8-0 down things appeared ominous but Barry rallied and soon got back into the game.

Despite playing up the slope and against the wind, and with the sun in their eyes, the home side got to grips with the elements, opting to keep ball in hand.

A fine break by Bounds from midfield saw him with plenty of support, and after Moyle had carried on the good work, his offload found Rob Williams who crashed over for the try.  Ashley Adams judged the conditions perfectly to land the conversion and reduced the deficit to one.

The momentum was now with the green-and-whites as the visiting side found it difficult to live with Barry’s offloading game.  It was Moyle once again who broke the defensive line, and after a neat exchange of passes it was Adams who sprinted across the line to score near the posts.  The conversion was missed but Barry were now in the lead.

More was to come as it was Moyle’s back-row partner Poole who profited next, supporting the strong runners in midfield to score under the posts.  The conversion was a formality and Barry were now 19-8 in front.

Poor decision making in their own half, however, were to let the hosts down in the final minutes of the first half, as they turned possession over to allow the visitors a converted try to narrow the deficit to four.

Still, things appeared optimistic as now Barry had the elements in their favour in the second half, but somehow the home side failed to capitilise.

Indeed, it was a scrappy affair in the second half, not helped by the constant interruption by the official’s whistle, as both sides tried to gather sufficient momentum to make the decisive score.

Barry were not helped by a serious injury to captain Joel Williams, who had to be helped off the field.  We wish him a speedy recovery.

His replacement at fly-half Richie O'Sullivan contributed to Barry’s strong defence in this half, but ultimately it was more disorganisation and poor decision making which saw the Quins with the next score.

Spurning numerous chances to clear their lines, the visitors finally accepted their invitation to score when good handling saw them dive over for a deserved try.  The conversion was missed but they were now ahead 20-19.

Barry finally awoke from their slumber and kept possession fervently.  The continuous recycling of the ball and more aggressive approach at the contact area finally paid off against a tiring Quins defence, as the official awarded the hosts a penalty.

It was an opportunity not missed by Adams who stroked the kick over in the dying embers of the game to give Barry their first win since the second weekend of the season.

Barry 2nd will return to action following the Autumn Internationals on 16th December with Rhiwbina their visitors.


Team:  Forrester; Montague, M Williams, Bounds, Grant; J Williams (c), Adams; Lee, Corson, Deyes; Jones, R Williams; Moyle, Poole, Warry

Replacements:  R O’Sullivan, M O’Sullivan, Reid, Evans

Man of the match:  Moyle


There doesn't appear to be any tagged photos.

Upload and Tag Photos