Mountain Ash RFC | 1st Team 20 - 30 Barry RFC | 1st Team
Luke O'sullivan
1 Try
Bradley White
1 Try
Kyle Barros
2 Conversion
2 Penalty
Lucas Davies
1 Try
Chris Lockyer
1 Try

Match Report
11 January 2020 / Team News

Four try Barry victorious on the road

Travelling to Mountain Ash last Saturday, Barry could not have expected to achieve the bonus point win that they well and truly deserved in a hard fought encounter with the only difference between the sides being that Barry took their chances where the Old Firm didn't.
The Old Firm took the lead within the first minute from a penalty and went further ahead soon after from a second to give them a six point lead.
A  penalty chance from Barry sailed just wide, but they  launched into an attack from the restart with a few inventive passes confusing the home defence and good support play saw Lucas Davies take the try scoring pass to cross for the try with Kyle Barross adding the conversion for a 7 - 6 lead.
Tactically Barry played the territorial game well, but when the chances came they took full advantage as a turnover forced the home side to concede a penalty with Kyle Barross again doing the honours to extend the lead to 10 - 6.
The Old Firm had their chances too but a mixture of good defence and basic errors was costing them dear and they were soon to pay the price.
A move beginning on the half way line saw Barry attack as the ball passed through several pairs of hands it finally reached Brad White to cross for the try, the touchline conversion from Kyle Barross added icing to the cake and Barry were ahead 17 - 6.
Despite enjoying a good share of the ball the Old Firm had not really threatened the Barry line, but in the minutes of the half remaining did just that but again basic errors let them down and they ended the half with nothing more to show for their efforts.
Things only got worse for them as they failed to gather the second half kick off allowing Barry regain the ball with a deft pass finding Luke O'Sullivan in support to cross unopposed for the try and despite the conversion being missed Barry had gone into a 22 - 6 lead.
Barry had their tails up and a 60m burst from their 22 by Alyn Evans nearly created another try but the final pass didn't go to hand.
Frustration grew in the home ranks as a series of penalties were conceded giving Barry more opportunities to seek that important fourth try and a bonus point.
The Old Firm looked to have finally got themselves a score following a searing break from the full back, which deserved a try, but a last ditch tackle saved the day.
After that near miss the Old Firm virtually emptied the bench in an effort to get into the game, but still continued to concede penalties in vital areas,with credit to the Barry defence which in the main had been tight all afternoon.
Their frustration mounted as Barry got themselves into the home 22 and had the final pass gone to hand the bonus try was there, but it didn't.
Again the Old Firm got into the Barry 22 but somehow Barry stole the ball and gained 60m of territory.
Putting pressure on the home defence Barry regained the ball took the opportunity to move it quickly through the backs.Accurate passing saw the overlap created with Chris Lockyer taking the final pass to cross wide out.No conversion but a lead of 27 - 6 with some dozen minutes remaining.
Having achieved the bonus point and deciding the game was won, Barry took their foot of the pedal.They paid for that almost immediately as a driving lineout took play infield where the home side crossed for their first score in over an hour.
Regaining the restart the home side were penalised and Kyle Barross was on hand to push the score to 13 - 30 as the clock ran down.
Their was still time for the Old Firm to score a further converted try in injury time which made the scoreline more respectable, with the final whistle coming straight after the conversion to end the game.
A great win on the road for Barry, their third, and many pleasing aspects in the performance mainly the improvement in the support play.
Next Saturday Barry are at home to St. Peters in a League fixture kick off at 2.30pm.
The Club Lottery rolls over to £1150 this week after last weeks numbers 01 - 03 -10 and 15 failed to find a winner. One ticket matched 3 numbers to claim £10

There doesn't appear to be any tagged photos.

Upload and Tag Photos