Barry RFC | 1st Team 34 - 35 Abercwmboi RFC | 1st Team
Dylan Robertson
Try 1
Kyle Barros
Conversion 4
Penalty 2
Luke O'sullivan
Try 2
Lucas Davies
Try 1
Matthew Jones
2 Try
Geraint Cutlan
5 Conversion
Lee Jarvis
2 Try
Sean Crawford
1 Try

Match Report
17 September 2018 / Team News

Barry almost complete improbable comeback

By Andy Jamieson

Newly promoted Abercwmboi were the visitors  to the Resevoir Field last Saturday, where the crowd were provided with what turned out to be a thrilling encounter, only decided by the last kick of the game.

Barry got off to the worst possible start failing to gather the kick off giving Aber a foothold in the 22.Although the Barry defence was sound, continuous recycling finally created the space for the opening score and a 7 point lead.

Back came Barry where a Kyle Barross penalty was scant reward for some enterprising play.They continued to prod and probe the Aber defence and minutes later the same kicker was successful with a further penalty to put Barry within one point.

The game was moving end to end with both sides eager to attack from anywhere on the park.This obviously led to errors and Barry ended on the wrong side of two converted tries within the space of five minutes as these were seized on by the speedy backline of Aber.This now took the score to 21 - 6 in the visitors favour.

Shocked at this 14 point reverse Barry came straight back on the attack from the restart to get themselves into the Aber 22.Winning the lineout from a penalty the drive was held just short A second penalty saw them lose the lineout but regain possession from a loose clearance.Seeing the Aber defence out of position they quickly took advantage for Luke O'Sullivan to cross and a Kyle Barross conversion cut the deficit to 8 points.

Back came the visitors immediately to camp themselves in the home 22 where a series of penalties and driving lineouts saw them tie in the Barry defence to cross for another converted try and increase the lead to 15 points.

With still nearly ten minutes to go before the break it was Barry in the driving seat and unlucky not to add to their score as firstly a great break from quick ball breached the defence only to see the ball knocked from the player's hand virtually in the act of scoring and secondly with the line beckoning a decision to chip to the line saw the chance wasted.

A score seemed imminent but ironically it was Aber. who did so.With Barry on the attack, a loose ball was hacked downfield, taking play into the Barry 22.With the Barry defence scrambling to get back Aber took full advantage to score a converted try.Although an unlucky reverse it meant that the score as the half time whistle went put them what appeared to be in full control as they led 35 - 13.

A lot of hard work was going to be needed if Barry were to get back into the game, and that's just what we got as the second half kicked off.

An early chance went begging as the final pass was knocked forward.Back they came forcing Aber into conceding several 

penalties which finally saw them drive a lineout close to the line to give Lucas Davies the try and a Kyle Barross conversion cut the lead to 15 points again.

Still making unforced errors Barry had to be on their  guard as Aber. counterattacked and got close to scoring but the defence held firm.

Weathering this period Barry again got themselves territory from a penalty and didn't waste it as they got to within 5m of the Aber line.Again driving the lineout  they split the Aber defence for Luke O'Sullivan to cross for his second try and with Kyle Barross adding the extras it was game on with only 8 points between the sides.

With their tails up Barry maintained the pressure and seconds after the restart the backs moved the ball at pace scything through the Aber defence with ease to allow Dylan Robertson to cross under the posts giving Kyle Barross an easy conversion

and it was now a one point game as the clock ticked down.

Realising there was little time left Aber. tried to close the game down and looked to have achieved that until they conceded a penalty,which took play back to their 22.Barry pushed and probed but Aber held out until they fell fowl of the referee again giving Barry the chance to win the game in the dying seconds.Unfortunately the kick sailed just passed the upright and the final whistle went.

Probably a game Barry should have won, but basic errors proved very costly as three of the visitors tries came as a result of these.The team showed what they are capable of, and certainly played enough good rugby to have won.  Things to work on of course but also an encouraging performance as they go to Llanishen, the League leaders, next week for a 2.30pm kick off.

The Lottery rolls over again this week as No's 01 - 05 - 11 and 23 failed to produce a winner. Two tickets claim £10 for matching 3 numbers.This week's jackpot will be £2600.


There doesn't appear to be any tagged photos.

Upload and Tag Photos