Cilfynydd RFC | 1st Team 27 - 22 Barry RFC | 1st Team
Bradley White
1 Try
Dylan Robertson
1 Try
Daniel Nathan Ryan
1 Try
Kyle Barros
2 Conversion
1 Penalty

Match Report
08 April 2019 / Team News

Brave Barry sunk in Promotion Clash

Barry travelled to Cilfynydd last Saturday in a vital clash with the promotion hopes of both sides resting on the result.As it was the home side took the spoils with Barry having some consolation by earning a losing bonus point.

With so much at stake, this was always likely to be a fiery encounter and so it proved to be with Cilfynydd winning by 27 - 22.

The game began with both sides moving the ball and testing each other out.

Barry got off to a perfect start when from a break from defence they split the Cilfynydd ranks feeding the ball to Danny Ryan who crossed wide out for an unconverted try

Stung by this early setback the home side found themselves in the Barry 22 following some loose kicking.They took advantage of both the referee and the situation to cross for a controversial try and conversion to take 7 - 5 lead.

Minutes later this time from a lapse in concentration at a scrum allowed the home No 8 cross unopposed this time for an unconverted try.

Needing to get back in the game Barry worked their way over the line, with the referee deciding the ball was held up.The resulting scrum saw Barry awarded a penalty which Kyle Barross duly converted

Unfortunately Barry were to suffer a further setback minutes later as a series of errors left them losing a potential attacking position and finding themselves in their own 22 having to defend.Whilst initially holding the Cilfynydd lineout drive the pressure told seeing the try conceded, not converted but importantly a lead of 17 - 8 as the half drew to a close.

.Cilfynydd added to their score on the restart as Barry were penalised at a scrum.Following the successful kick the whistle ended the half with Barry not deserving of the 20 - 8 deficit.

Barry hit the second half running and an  chargedown could have provided an early score.They maintained the pressure forcing three quick penalties as Cilfynydd defended their line but were unable to get the breakthrough they needed.

The home team weathered this storm and now it was Barry's turn to concede penalties with the territory lost.Into the 22 Cilfynydd made Barry pay as a lineout drive saw the ball moved infield to create space for a converted try and a 27 - 8 lead.

The Barry heads to their credit didn't drop and they worked their way into the 22.Taking the ball on they again got close but couldn't get the break they needed.Their patience paid off finally as the backs linked well to create space for Brad White to cross for the try, with Kyle Barross getting the conversion Barry were back in the game.

Things got even better minutes later as a threequarter move saw full back Dylan Robertson come into the line and slice through for the try which Kyle Barross again converted and the score now stood at 27 - 22 with still minutes to go.

Try as they might Barry were just unable to get the final try which could have won the game as Cilfynydd held out till the final whistle.

A case of what might have been for Barry as they were the architects of their own downfall in the first half which sadly cost them points.Full credit however for their second half fightback which could have produced a win with a little more luck.

The fight for promotion goes on however with Barry still in the mix with four games to play.Last night (wednesday) they were due to travel to Aberdare and this Saturday play away at Heol Y Cwy,kick off 2.30pm.Next Wednesday,17th April, they travel to Llanharan for a 7.00pm kick off, with the final League Game away at Taffs Well on Saturday 20th April

The Club Lottery rolls over to £4100 this week after last week's numbers 05 - 07 - 14 and 19 failed to find a winner.

Two tickets matched 3 numbers to claim the £10 prize


There doesn't appear to be any tagged photos.

Upload and Tag Photos