St Peters RFC | 1st Team 46 - 29 Barry RFC | 1st Team
Ross Merrills
1 Try
Kyle Barros
2 Conversion
Bradley White
2 Try
Alyn Evans
1 Try
Christie Lockyer
1 Try

Match Report
07 October 2019 / Team News

Barry earn bonus point despite nightmare first half

By Andy Jamieson

Barry visited St Peters last Saturday and despite going down to a 46 - 29 defeat earned a vital bonus point by virtue of scoring five second half tries after being 29 points down at half time.
The first half will be one they will want to forget as the rustiness of not having played for three weeks was laid bare and a mixture of poor defending and inaccurancy on attack saw the game look over at the interval as the Rocks ran in four tries whereas Barry wasted their chances on at least three occasions.
Hopes weren't high as the second period began but from the kick off an apparently recharged Barry hit the Rocks hard turning the restart over where quick recycling gave Brad White the space to cross for an unconverted try.
Almost immediately Barry were back on the attack and following an initial break from Luke O'Sullivan, Brad White was again on hand to race 30m to the line, this time for a converted try as Kyle Barross kicked the extras.
Stung by those quick reversals it was the Rocks who launched the next attack which Barry defended well initially but from a 5m scrum using their clear weight advantage up front saw the pressure rewarded as the referee awarded a penalty try to put them into a lead of 36 - 12.
The pressure was maintained by the Rocks, after Barry had failed to cross the line from a penalty, as they counter attacked earning a penalty chance which hit the upright bounced kindly for them leading to a further converted try.
Barry hadn't given up hope and continued to take the game to the Rocks and got an early reward as they crossed wide out for an unconverted try by Chris Lockyer.
Still Barry weren't finished and despite having to make unforced changes due to injuries continued to attack at every opportunity and again got their dues as quick hands saw Ross Merrills cross out wide for an unconverted try and the bonus point.
Barry were now on the charge and playing some good rugby.A movement which saw the ball pass through several pairs of hands to take them close to the posts where Danny Ryan picked up and dived over for try converted by Kyle Barross.The score now stood at 43 - 29 as the clock ticked down.
The Barry comeback came not as a result of the Rocks easing off but as an indication of the committment and character of the squad and that should be applauded.
The final moment of the game saw the Rocks take the sting out of Barry by opting to kick at goal to use the clock up, with the successful kick giving them victory by 46 - 29.
Overall a creditable performance after the hell of the first half and those wasted chances in that period turned out to be difference
at the end between the sides.
Next Saturday's planned League fixture against Porth has had to be postponed as the visitors are still in the WRU Plate Competition which takes precedance over the League
The Club Lottery rolls over to £5400 this weekend as last weeks numbers 03 - -08 - 18 and 22 failed to find a winner.
One ticket managed to match 3 numbers to win £10.
However it is hoped to arrange a fixture at home, contact the  Club for latest information.

There doesn't appear to be any tagged photos.

Upload and Tag Photos