Our History



The Great War that began in 1914 meant that no rugby was played in the town, as the war effort dictated that almost all sport had ceased.  However, with the signing of the Armistice at the eleventh hour of the eleventh day in the eleventh month of 1918, sports clubs such as Barry RFC slowly stirred into action.  This was hampered by the fact that over 15,000 Barrians had enlisted in the conflict and 700 had been killed, of whom at least the following eleven had been playing members of the club.

W.T. Connor, D. Davies, D.W. Davies, R. Evans, N. Griffiths, G. Lawday, H. Morris, N Morris, A. Savours, S. Sharpe, C. White

Teams of various guises were formed in the post-war period, with names such as Barry Parade (1919), Barry Romilly Old Boys (1922), and Barry Romily (1923).  There were various successes and falls for all these precursors to Barry RFC, but this proved to be a difficult period for all involved in the game in Barry due to tailing off of player enthusiasm and a breakdown in support and pulicity.

No games were to be played again during World War II, but when the war ended on 2nd September 1945 with the formal surrender of Japan, and the return of servicemen home to revitalise a 'normal' way of life, Barry RFC were to be formed on 27th February 1946 in the Mission Hall at the top of Park Crescent.  The first trials were held at the Buttrills Ground on Saturday 23rd March, and the first game was away at Taffs Well on 13th April.  The far more experienced home side won the game 35-3.  W.R. (Russell) Davies had the honour of being the captain on the day, with A. (Alan) Bassett scoring the club's first try and points.  Barry gained their first win on 25th April against local rivals Dinas Powis on the Common.

The first annual club dinner was held on 6th June 1947 at the Ship Hotel.